Students swapped shirts for sweaters and other clothes on the Plaza of the Americas on Wednesday.

UF’s Organic and Sustainable Agriculture Club held its first clothing swap to allow students to recycle their clothes, said Kristin Balko, the club’s president. About 70 items, from loud, graffiti-inspired T-shirts, to fancy, colorful blouses, sat on blankets for students to pick from.

Balko, 22, said she got the idea for the swap a few weeks ago after looking at her unused clothes.

“Reusing things is the whole point of sustainability,” the UF horticultural sciences senior said.

While the club’s main goal is to help the environment, Balko said, the swap allowed students to restock their closets without spending money. Remaining outfits will likely be donated to Goodwill Industries.

“The event was really successful,” Balko said. “Someone asked if we can host a clothing swap every week."

Balko donated a diamond-patterned blue, green and purple reversible vest. She said she bought it in Key West while vacationing with her family.

“I really liked it, but I don’t wear it anymore,” Balko said. “It’s time for someone else to appreciate it.”

Cameo Lance, a 22-year-old UF physics and math senior, took the vest. She said it immediately caught her attention.

Lance said she is looking forward to the next clothing swap.

“Typically people just throw things away,” Lance said. “A clothing swap is a great way of rejuvenating your closet without disposing things that can be used.”