UF journalism college gets rid of early -history requirement

Students in the UF College of Journalism and Communications are now only required to take one history class instead of two.

Students who came to UF after Summer B 2015 aren’t required to take American History to 1877 (AMH 2010). The change was part of a state initiative, Michael Weigold, the assistant dean of undergraduate affairs for the college, wrote in an email.

Those in the college will still need to take American History since 1877 (AMH 2020), he said.

He said while AMH 2020 still meets university general education requirements, AMH 2010 no longer does.

“So we adjusted accordingly to make sure students take classes that will help them graduate on time,” Weigold said.

Kristina Perez, 19, came into UF with the history classes completed, but she said taking both courses have helped her understand current events.

“(History is) crucial to understanding current events,” she said, adding that the Black Lives Matter movement wouldn’t make sense without the historical context of America’s history of segregation and the civil rights movement.

“I don’t think all history courses should become almost electives to a J-school student,” the telecommunication freshman said.

She said she thinks removing the course won’t hurt students, but taking history classes can only help.

Dave Tegeder is teaching one course at UF this semester: AMH 2010. The UF history professor said the change in requirement reflects changes in the state standard.

He said he thinks it’s important for students going into the fields of journalism and communications to understand the history of American culture and society.

“Oftentimes, what seems to be news needs to be put in larger context,” Tegeder said. “You need to understand the culture you work in.”

@MelissaGomez004

mgomez@alligator.org