UF student arrested after police say he shot and injured a 57-year-old man

A UF senior was arrested early this morning after deputies said he shot and injured a 57-year-old man.

At about 3:30 a.m., Angelo Ray Canevari, 26, was covered in blood when he knocked on a woman’s door in the 8700 block of SW 135th Place.

When Alachua County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrived, Canevari told them he shot someone, ASO spokesman Sgt. Brandon Kutner said.

Deputies detained Canevari and searched about 20 minutes for a victim before they found a house with its door open, Kutner said.

Inside, Lannie E. Geer lay unresponsive in a pool of blood near a handgun and bullets, Kutner said.

Investigators then got a search warrant and linked the blood found on Canevari to the crime scene.

Canevari refused to speak with authorities without an attorney, and Geer, recovering from his injuries at UF Health Shands Hospital, is not stable enough to speak with authorities, Kutner said.

UF spokesman Steve Orlando said Canevari is a senior in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

As of press time, Kutner said investigators do not believe anyone witnessed the shooting. They have spoken with residents and neighbors in hopes of finding any potential leads.

“They knew of each other. They were acquaintances of some sort,” Kutner said, adding that authorities are still unsure why the two were together.

“But it was obvious based on our investigation and the forensic evidence that Mr. Canevari was directly responsible for Mr. Geer’s injuries,” he said.

Deputies arrested Canevari on a charge of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and transported him to the Alachua County Jail, where he remains without bond.

Contact Martin Vassolo at mvassolo@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @martindvassolo