Making prom fabulous, one girl at a time - UF graduates continue charity tradition

<p>Eastside High School junior Naiesha Baker poses for a photo with the outfit she won from the Being Fab for Prom giveaway, which was started by UF alumnae Gabrielle Burch and Brooke Cantrell. “At first I thought it was fake that I had won. I had to ask my mom if this was for real,” she said.</p>

Eastside High School junior Naiesha Baker poses for a photo with the outfit she won from the Being Fab for Prom giveaway, which was started by UF alumnae Gabrielle Burch and Brooke Cantrell. “At first I thought it was fake that I had won. I had to ask my mom if this was for real,” she said.

Finding the perfect prom dress is a milestone for some high- school students, but paying a hefty price can be unrealistic for their families. 

On Friday, UF alumnae Gabrielle Burch and Brooke Cantrell, both 24, awarded one student a new outfit as part of the third annual Being Fab for Prom giveaway. 

This year’s winner, Eastside High School junior Naiesha Baker, received a dress, a clutch purse, jewelry and shoes. She also earned a makeover and $25 for dinner.

“I really didn’t think I was going to be able to go,” said 18-year-old Baker, who stood in a flowing red dress and sparkling heels at the fire-and-ice themed dance Friday.

“I feel so fortunate to have these girls help me out like this,” she said. 

prom2.jpg

This year’s winner received a dress, clutch purse, jewelry and shoes. The winner also earned a makeover and $25 for dinner.

Burch and Cantrell said they pay for the giveaway each year, which also includes a makeover for two runner-ups. 

This year’s prizes cost the duo a total of about $400, Cantrell said. 

Burch said the giveaway was started in honor of her grandmother, who she said was known for giving back to her community in Tallahassee. 

“I thought this would be a great way to start to help out young women who need guidance and support,” Burch said. 

Ten students applied this year, she said, and the women chose Baker because she has maintained a GPA above 4.0 and played varsity basketball and track since her freshman year.

Despite her credentials, Baker said the giveaway seemed too good to be true.

“At first I thought it was fake that I had won,” she said. “I had to ask my mom if this was for real.”