Local cyclist fosters awareness, recovery through rides

From drug addict to cyclist, A. J. Tatum hopes to turn Active For Recovery into a nonprofit organization.

Founded two years ago by Tatum, the organization hosts cycling events to raise awareness of addiction and mental illness.

The first bike ride, Biking Thru Addiction, was hosted during National Recovery Month in September, where 60 participants cycled 16 miles through the Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail.

The event last year raised over $1,000. This year, on Sept. 17, his goal is to raise $1,500.

After his father passed away in 2004, Tatum said he turned to drugs to deal with his depression.

“I had no energy to do anything,” he said. “I also had acid reflux and was given all these prescriptions for things. It was just too much for a 29-year-old.”

As a child, he enjoyed riding his bike, so he chose to cycle during his recovery.

Cycling inspired him to start an organization where people can come together and recover.

One of the organization’s newest members is Colin Hines, who volunteers at Metamorphosis, a Gainesville substance abuse treatment program.

“I think it’s imperative for me to be physically active as part of my recovery program,” he said. “It helps me clear my mind.”

Tatum said he’s looking forward to cycling with others.

“It’s going to be fun, and it’ll give me an opportunity to learn about the community more,” he said.