Generic Crime
Generic Crime

It began with the honk of a horn. Then someone pulled out a pistol.

On Monday, Gainesville Police arrested a man and a woman in connection to a road-rage incident from earlier this month.

On Aug. 5, a motorist honked his horn at a black Chevy pickup after the truck’s driver cut him off in the 3400 block of SW Archer Road, according to a police report.

The occupants of the truck — Roger Sylvester, 25, Jacob Sylvester, 30, and Kasey Mae Adkins, 26 — cursed at the motorist, according to the report.

The motorist turned up his music and continued driving, passing the truck and continuing north on Southwest 34th Street. When the vehicles stopped next to each other at the intersection of Southwest 34th Street and West University Avenue, the trio continued to curse at the motorist, and one of them threw a beer through the motorist’s open window, according to the report.

When both drivers then pulled into a Chevron gas station nearby, Roger and Jacob Sylvester left their vehicle and began to hit and push the motorist. Jacob put him in a chokehold, according to the report.

Adkins, who was still seated inside the car, then rushed from the vehicle, pointing a black handgun at all three of them, according to the report. The three then returned to the truck, according to the report.

After the motorist snapped photos of the pickup’s license plate with his cellphone, Roger and Jacob Sylvester snatched the phone and drove away.

Police found the pickup shortly after with a loaded handgun in the front seat, according to the report.

GPD released surveillance camera footage of the incident to the public.

Authorities charged Roger Sylvester with robbery by sudden snatching and battery. They charged Adkins with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Both were taken to Alachua County Jail, where they are being held without bond.

Authorities arrested Jacob Sylvester on Aug. 6, charging him with aggravated assault, simple battery and robbery by sudden snatching, according to a police report.