Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Gainesville Police arrested a local man Saturday after they said he jumped into a pool to hide about 10 grams of crack cocaine.

At about 1:15 a.m. Saturday, Michael Harrison, 43, sat in the passenger seat of a car as police pulled over its driver in the 1300 block of SW 21st Ave., according to a police report. The driver didn’t stop at a stop sign.

As police approached the car, Harrison appeared to be glancing at the floor. When police found marijuana crumbs in the car and asked Harrison to take off his right sock, he ran.

Harrison entered the courtyard of a hotel in the 2900 block of SW 13th St., where he jumped into a pool, according to the report. Inside, he took off his right sock.

When police attempted to arrest him, Harrison swam to the opposite side of the pool, according to the report. Police then used pepper spray on Harrison and took him out of the pool.

At the bottom of the pool, police found a bag of crack cocaine weighing about 10 grams, according to the report.

Police charged Harrison with tampering with evidence, resisting arrest and possessing cocaine with intent to sell, manufacture or deliver.

Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail, where he remains, as of press time, in lieu of a $60,000 bond.