Monday, April 29, 2024

Eight months after a Gainesville woman seemingly disappeared, a grand jury has charged her ex-boyfriend with first-degree murder.

On Wednesday, the jury indicted Nelson Ariel Armas, a 28-year-old Gainesville resident, for killing Hannah Brim, who went missing Jan. 19, according to a statement issued by Gainesville Police.

Brim, who was 23 years old, was believed to be five months pregnant at the time of her disappearance, according to Alligator archives.

Police have not found Brim’s remains, but forensic evidence convinced officers she was dead, according to the archives.

GPD spokesman Officer Ben Tobias said police believe Armas was the last person to see Brim alive. He was quickly considered a suspect in the case, Tobias said.

In February, about 150 officers from seven law enforcement agencies — including GPD and the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office — searched for Brim in a heavily wooded area of the Orange Heights neighborhood, according to archives. The area is located about five miles from Waldo, Florida.

Armas was already in the Alachua County Jail on charges of an unrelated domestic battery. He was not issued a bond.

Anyone with information on the disappearance of Hannah Brim can contact GPD Detective Tom Mullins at 352-393-7619, CrimeStoppers at 352-372-7867 or text “GPDFL” plus a tip to 274637.

@ceostroff

costroff@alligator.org

@martindvassolo

mvassolo@alligator.org