UF rugby club team raises money for new uniforms

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-4a6feb2e-02e8-b8e9-1206-ee9cc80b5c1e"><span>Abby Solaun, a UF Women’s Rugby Club player, tries to dodge a University of Central Florida player during a match in February. Moriah Saunders, one of the team’s captains, said old team uniforms are becoming an issue during games.</span></span></p>

Abby Solaun, a UF Women’s Rugby Club player, tries to dodge a University of Central Florida player during a match in February. Moriah Saunders, one of the team’s captains, said old team uniforms are becoming an issue during games.

Moriah Saunders, 21, has worn shabby UF Women’s Rugby Club jerseys for two years. But she said it’s not the bloodstains and holes that bother her.

“Sometimes I’ll wear the No. 1, and it’ll be like a dress on me,” the UF marketing senior said. “This has definitely been an issue for the past few years.”

The players started a GoFundMe page Sept. 2 to replace the 6-year-old blue-and-orange jerseys, Saunders, one of the team’s captains, said.

Over the years, the sport’s aggressive nature has stretched the jerseys so loose that the team’s opponents have an advantage, she said.

“Knowing that you had that extra step on someone but they were still able to just grab your shirt and pull you back — it’s kind of demoralizing,” she said.

The Sports Clubs Council, the student governing body of UF’s Sports Clubs program, gave the club about $2,000 this Fall, said Abby Solaun, another captain of the rugby team.

The funding has to go toward equipment and travel fees, which leaves the team to cover the cost of uniforms. Members are responsible for bringing their own shorts and socks, the 22-year-old UF construction management senior said.

“We tend to look a bit unorganized,” Solaun said.

The team is hoping to raise $1,500 to cover costs of complete uniform sets that include new matching jerseys, shorts and socks, something the club hasn’t had in years.

As of press time, the club has raised more than $300.

“This way, we don’t have to pressure the girls to fork up some money for the uniforms, because it’s not fair to them,” Saunders said.