Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Update: This story has been updated to reflect that the charges against Jackson Kilcoyne were dropped as of July 5, 2019.   

ACSO: Inmates brawl over the use of a jail phone

Already in jail, two Gainesville residents may face longer sentences after assaulting a fellow inmate Saturday, the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office said.

At about 2:15 a.m., a deputy arrived to the county jail in response to a fight over the use of the jail’s phone, according to an ACSO arrest report. The victim told the deputy that he and Lamonte Jaquez Thomas, 21, got into an argument over the phone, which turned violent after Thomas followed him to his cell and started punching him in the face.

The victim used his arms to protect his face, but then another inmate — 19-year-old Gene Rubin Rowe Jr. — held the victim’s arms down and allowed Thomas to keep punching, according to the report.

Deputies entered the cell to find Rowe holding down the man and Thomas hitting him multiple times, according to the report.

Among the man’s injuries were a swollen nose, a swollen jaw, a swollen neck, a cut lip and scratches to his face and back, according to the report. When asked about the man’s injuries, Thomas concluded that a phone “must have struck him.”

Both Thomas and Rowe were arrested on a charge of battery by a person detained in a jail facility, according to the report. They remain in jail in lieu of an $85,000 bond for Thomas and a $10,000 bond for Rowe.

GPD: Covered in urine, UF student assaults first responder

After first responders found a drunken UF student covered in urine and blood Friday, the student refused their help and assaulted a lieutenant, Gainesville Police said.

At about 2 a.m., 21-year-old Jackson Kilcoyne lay unresponsive in a puddle of his own blood near St. Augustine Church, located at 1738 W. University Ave., according to a police report. When emergency medical service employees attempted to help, Kilcoyne became aggressive.

The responders told Kilcoyne, described in the report as “extremely intoxicated,” that they would take him to the hospital, but Kilcoyne refused to go, according to the report. He then stood up and began yelling in the face of an EMS lieutenant, who grabbed Kilcoyne’s arm and insisted he be taken to a hospital.

Kilcoyne, who is listed as a student in UF’s online directory, then grabbed the lieutenant’s arms, lifted him up and pushed him into a brick flower bed. After a brief struggle, responders were able to restrain him.

GPD arrested Kilcoyne on a charge of battery on a law enforcement officer. They took him to the Alachua County Jail, where he was released Saturday on his own recognizance.

As of press time, Kilcoyne could not be reached for comment.

The charges against Kilcoyne were dropped as of July 5, 2019.

Miami man arrested with numbers to 616 credit cards

He was jailed on a $2.4 million bond.

When Florida Highway Patrol pulled over a Miami man Friday morning, he seemed visibly nervous, his hand shaking as he handed over his driver’s license, FHP said.

Though they had flagged him for speeding on Interstate 75 near Micanopy, Florida, they soon found the numbers to 616 credit cards in 30-year-old Lesly Perez Diaz’s possession, according to an FHP report.

He was arrested on charges that put him in the Alachua County Jail facing a $2,486,000 bond.

At about 11 a.m., Perez stopped his red Nissan and consented to a pat down, his heart noticeably pounding, according to the report. He seemed unsure of where he was going, stating he was traveling from Miami to Ocala, despite having passed Ocala.

During the search, a trooper found eight credit cards underneath Perez’s underwear, each bearing different numbers on their magnetic strips than on the back of the cards. In his wallet, two other cards — and a thumb drive containing the numbers to 606 more — were found, according to the report.

None of the names on the credit cards in the thumb drive belonged to him, according to the report. He told the trooper he found the thumb drive and used it for music.

Troopers arrested him on charges of trafficking in or possessing 50 or more counterfeit credit cards, use of scanning device or re-encoder to defraud, dealing in credit cards of another and criminal use of personal identification information.