Dachshund derby raises $5,000 for cancer patients

<p dir="ltr">Adam Ray, a UF biology junior, poses with his 9-month-old Dachshund Bowie following the dog's first-place win in Sunday's Halloweener Derby. The second annual Dachshund-only race, held at Westside Park, raised about $5,000 for the pediatric oncology unit at UF Health Shands Hospital.</p><p><span> </span></p>

Adam Ray, a UF biology junior, poses with his 9-month-old Dachshund Bowie following the dog's first-place win in Sunday's Halloweener Derby. The second annual Dachshund-only race, held at Westside Park, raised about $5,000 for the pediatric oncology unit at UF Health Shands Hospital.

Bowie, a 9-month-old Dachshund, ran about 15 yards, winning a derby against 25 other hounds Sunday.

During the second-annual Halloweener Derby, Dachshunds ran toward an orange spray-painted finish line at Westside Park as about 200 onlookers watched. The race, which benefited the Climb for Cancer Foundation, raised about $5,000 for the pediatric oncology unit at UF Health Shands Hospital.

Last year, they raised $3,000 for the foundation, which was started in 2002 by Ron and Dianne Farb to help ease the pain of cancer patients.

“Everybody is having a good time, and that is the most important thing,” Ron Farb said.

To raise money, owners paid about $30 to register their pets in either the derby or costume contest. They paid about $50 for both events.

At about 2:15 p.m., Adam Ray, a UF biology junior, cheered as his dog, Bowie, won the race.

“We are so proud of him,” the 20-year-old said. “He’s the best dog in the world.”

Visitors also walked through the Trick or Treat Trail, which was lined with various vendors including Eat the 80 and Sweet Paws Bakery. Vendor fees also went to Shands.

Fernando Spada, a 20-year-old UF finance junior, saw the event from the park’s playground and said he decided to check it out.

“I was not the biggest fan of wiener dogs,” he said. “But after watching a variety of them racing, I gained a newfound love for them.”