During Tuesday’s Student Senate meeting, senators honored the life of a UF student.

Along with approving funding for two student organizations, a replacement graduate senator and a resolution honoring former UF athletics director Jeremy Foley, Senate passed a resolution honoring Abigail Dougherty, who was killed Oct. 28 by a garbage truck while riding her bicycle north of campus.

Senator Alyssa Bethencourt (Impact, Sophomore), who drafted the resolution honoring Dougherty, said she reached out to Dougherty’s close friends to write it.

“I almost felt like I had that connection with her, but I was never lucky enough to meet her,” she said. “I felt like she had such a huge impact. I wanted to make sure she was always remembered here at the University of Florida.”

Bethencourt, who was not at the meeting, wrote a letter read by another senator. In the letter, she thanked senators for passing the resolution. After passing the resolution, Senate held a moment of silence for Dougherty and those affected by the loss.

Senate also approved a resolution honoring Foley, who stepped down from his post as athletics director Oct. 31.

The student organizations UF Information Security Team and Jamaican Student Association were approved for funding, totaling $562 and $2,170, respectively.

Approved by unanimous consent:

• Neil Decenteceo for a permanent replacement graduate seat
  • Resolution honoring the life of Abigail Dougherty
  • Resolution honoring former athletics director Jeremy Foley for his service to UF
  • Funding for UF Information Security Team, totaling $562
  • Funding for Jamaican Student Association, totaling $2,170