UF freshman arrested for on-campus sexual battery, police say

University Police arrested a UF student Monday in connection to a sexual battery that occurred earlier this month at a campus residence hall.

Parker Glen Griffie, an 18-year-old UF finance freshman, is accused of sexually battering a female UF student Nov. 5 after the two met at an off-campus event, UPD spokesman Maj. Brad Barber said.

UF spokesman John Hines confirmed that Griffie is enrolled at UF but has been trespassed from campus.

The woman told police she invited Griffie to her residence hall but later asked him to leave. As she tried to lead him out, he pushed her down and assaulted her, Barber said.

The woman told police that she was eventually able to get Griffie to leave, Barber said.

Barber declined to say in which hall the incident occurred to protect the woman’s identity.

The woman reported the battery to UPD on Nov. 10, Barber said. The department’s Criminal Investigations Division has been investigating the incident for the last 11 days, going over evidence and interviewing the woman and Griffie.

Following the investigation, UPD served a warrant for Griffie’s arrest on campus Monday morning.

Griffie was charged with one count of sexual battery upon a person 18 years or older, a first-degree felony offense, Barber said.

At 10:39 a.m. Monday, authorities brought him to the Alachua County Jail where, as of press time, he remains in lieu of a $25,000 bond.