<p>Amanda Butler calls out instructions during Florida's 92-69 loss to Kentucky at the SEC Tournament on March 4, 2016.</p>

Amanda Butler calls out instructions during Florida's 92-69 loss to Kentucky at the SEC Tournament on March 4, 2016.

The charity stripe wasn’t kind to the Florida women’s basketball team on either side of the court Tuesday night, ultimately costing the Gators a much-needed victory.

Facing Indiana at Warden Arena in Winter Park, Florida, the unranked Gators fell to the Hoosiers 102-88 after shooting an abysmal 52 percent from the free throw line on 33 attempts.

IU, on the other hand, took advantage of its freebies, knocking down 94 percent of its tries from the line on 32 attempts to make the difference in UF’s third loss over its last four contests.

“When you look at the free throw differential … if we hit a few more of those that might have helped our effort,” head coach Amanda Butler said in a release.

Freshman guard Delicia Washington missed nine of her 16 takes from the line while the rest of her teammates wasted an additional seven attempts. Although Butler was pleased with Washington’s success at drawing fouls against Indiana, it meant nothing when they weren’t converted into points.

“She’s just got to capitalize,” Butler said.

Florida (7-4) fell behind early in the matchup after struggling to take care of the ball and stay out of foul trouble. The Gators sent the Hoosiers (9-3) to the line 26 times in the first half and allowed 17 points off 11 turnovers to find themselves down 57-32 at the end of the second quarter.

UF bounced back in the second half, though, outscoring Indiana by 11 off 56 percent shooting from the field, but it wouldn’t be enough to capture a win.

Despite her troubles at the free throw line, Washington was a bright spot for Florida, netting a career-high 31 points behind 11-for-22 shooting from the field. Washington also pulled down seven rebounds and converted two three-point attempts after only make one in her first 10 games combined.

“(She) did a really good job of what we wanted to do on offense,” Butler said.

UF’s frontcourt also contributed on the scoreboard. Senior forward Ronni Williams put up 22 points, junior forward Haley Lorenzen added 14 and senior center Tyshara Fleming finished with 13.

Indiana sophomore guard Tyra Buss led the Hoosiers with 35 points on 19-of-20 shooting from the free throw line and junior forward Amanda Cahill finished with a double-double of 21 points and 10 boards.

Next up for the Gators, they face Florida A&M (1-9) on Wednesday at at 5:30 p.m. once again in Warden Arena for day two of the Florida Sunshine Classic. The Rattlers have lost four consecutive games including an 80-49 defeat to Stony Brook on Tuesday night.

Contact Dylan Dixon at ddixon@alligator.org or follow him on Twitter @dylanrdixon