Gainesville’s first corporately owned Ashley HomeStores is having its grand opening Saturday.

The store, located at 3964 Plaza Blvd., opened about a month ago but is hosting a ribbon-cutting at 9:30 a.m. Guests who visit the store can enjoy a free lunch from David’s Real Pit BBQ, participate in face-painting and win prizes.

“We just really want to meet the town that we moved into and meet all the people in it,” said Sommer White, the manager of field marketing for Ashley Furniture Industries.

The first 100 guests will receive $50 gift cards to the store. Guests can also enter to win $10,000 in prizes, which include smart TVs and new furniture. The winners will be announced around Jan. 24, White said.

The last Gainesville-based privately owned Ashley HomeStore closed in 2008 during the economic recession, Sommer said. They want to re-introduce the store with the city in better economic shape, she added.

“It just became real apparent that we needed to get a presence up here,” White said.

Larry Lamb, the Gainesville store’s manager, said the store has an updated, dynamic look that is different from other Gainesville furniture stores.

He’s excited to work with his team and the community with programs such as Hope to Dream, which donates mattresses to children in need.

“We’re going to be a steady influence in the community,” he said.

@Mary_Lou_W

mwatkinson@alligator.org