Free money-management classes offered

In a city full of students, bad spending habits can easily spread.

So, beginning Wednesday, a Gainesville organization will offer free classes on money management.

As a part of a growing financial literacy program, the Catholic Charities of Gainesville is offering a four-part series, said Bishop James Dixon, the instructor of the course.

“It’s good preventative maintenance to keep them from falling into some traps,” he said.

The Financial Fitness Series will be at the organization’s office, located at 1701 NE Ninth St.

The classes will meet from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Thomas Knight, the associate chair and lecturer for UF’s department of economics, said most students have no idea how to manage their money.

He said there are no downsides to increased financial literacy, especially when many students rely on loans to attend college.

“Basic financial literacy is critical for people who are taking out tens of thousands of dollars in student loans,” Knight said.

Jennie Pendarvis, 19, said the classes are something she and her friends are interested in.

Not many students learn about their financial responsibilities prior to college, but the UF materials science and engineering sophomore said she sees the need to.

“You don’t want to make a mistake that would impact your financial future just because you’re not aware,” she said.

Upcoming Classes

• Wednesday: creating a spending plan
  • Feb. 8: saving money
  • Feb. 15: credit
  • Feb. 22: the emotional aspect of spending