Gov. Scott extends service of two UF board of trustees members

Two members of the UF Board of Trustees were re-appointed to their position by Gov. Rick Scott last month.

trustee 1

James “Bill” Heavener

James “Bill” Heavener and Jason Rosenberg both began serving on the board in 2013, wrote UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes in an email. Their new term will extend to January of 2021.

trustees 2

Jason Rosenberg

Heavener currently serves as the chair of the board, while Rosenberg is the educational policy and strategic initiatives chair. Both men will continue to hold these positions during their new term.

“It is not uncommon for trustees to be reappointed for a second term considering the learning curve associated with understanding our complex university,” Sikes said.

Members of the board are unpaid, she said.

Rosenberg said he received a personal phone call from Scott asking him to continue being on the board, to which he eagerly accepted.

“I’m thrilled to be able to serve,” Rosenberg said. “It’s been a pleasure to be able to be on the board for the time that I’ve been on, and I’m very happy to be able to continue my service.”

Rosenberg said as a trustee, he and the others will pursue the university’s goal of becoming a top-10 public institution.

Sikes said the trustees will also tackle a $2 billion fundraising campaign for the university.

“I just want to continue to help the university become the best it can be,” Rosenberg said.

rellenbogen@alligator.org

@romyellenbogen