Midtown’s The Coop now serving breakfast, offering free coffee

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-575fe745-b501-dd5a-c56e-3a3dba4d8bb9"><span>The Coop restaurant, located at 1620 W. University Ave., introduced its new breakfast menu to Gainesville residents Jan. 18. The menu includes a variety of items, from muffins to build-your-own breakfast sandwiches.</span></span></p>

The Coop restaurant, located at 1620 W. University Ave., introduced its new breakfast menu to Gainesville residents Jan. 18. The menu includes a variety of items, from muffins to build-your-own breakfast sandwiches.

Disillusioned with its dinner crowd, Midtown’s The Coop now serves breakfast — and it’s offering free coffee until Friday.

The restaurant, located at 1620 W. University Ave., now offers breakfast from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. and lunch from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The new breakfast menu, implemented Wednesday, includes quesadillas, sandwiches and coffee, said Darren Kay, the restaurant’s owner.

“The dinner crowd is just not where I want it to be,” Kay said.

He said he noticed more people eating dinner near Southwest Archer Road and West Newberry Road instead of Midtown. Kay said switching to breakfast and lunch was the right decision for the company.

Until Friday, the restaurant is offering free hot coffee, cold brew and nitro cold brew, along with half-off espresso drinks. The restaurant uses locally-roasted coffee from Sweetwater Organic Coffee Co. to brew coffee and espresso drinks, he said.

Kay said his menu includes mostly on-the-go items. The build-your-own breakfast sandwiches can be made on a biscuit, bagel, Texas toast, croissant or waffle.

Ashley Martinez, 22, stopped by for free coffee Wednesday after hearing about the promotion on Facebook.

The UF applied physiology and kinesiology junior grabbed a nitro cold brew coffee before starting a full day of classes.

People like Martinez are who Kay said he’s hoping to dine at his restaurant.

“Hopefully I can grab all of those city workers and staff workers as well as college students on their way to class, on their way to work,” he said.