Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A manager of Five Star Pizza was arrested Tuesday for pocketing about $11,000 in cash from the restaurant, Gainesville Police said.

pizza mug

Ian Armando Monterroso

Ian Armando Monterroso, 26, was arrested at about 10:06 a.m. after stealing from the pizza restaurant for four months, according to a police report. From August to December, he canceled about $17,055.86 worth of food orders at the 210 SW Second Ave. location.

Other managers, on average, canceled about $5,396.11 in sales during the same time period, according to the report.

Monterroso canceled cash orders sometimes hours after they were paid for, according to the report.

Surveillance footage shows Monterroso pocketing money from the till on multiple occasions, according to the report. The restaurant’s owner said there are more videos of him stealing, but the recordings were lost due to a technical malfunction.

One employee of the pizza store told police he recalled accepting $86.68 for an order in November that was subsequently canceled by Monterroso after the order was paid for and delivered, according to the report.

Another employee said he watched Monterroso put money into his pocket instead of the cash drawer, according to the report.

Police arrested Monterroso on charges of grand theft and scheming to defraud and obtain property. He was taken to the Alachua County Jail where he was released Wednesday afternoon on his own recognizance.

As of press time, Monterroso could not be reached for comment.

@merylkornfield

mkornfield@alligator.org