Some UF police will receive salary increases over the next three years

Some University Police officers will see a 1.5 percent pay increase for the next three years, starting this month. On Friday, the UF Board of Trustees ratified the contract between UF and the Police Benevolent Association, which represents police officers in Florida. Officers and sergeants will see

the salary increase in January 2017, 2018 and 2019. The agreement also allows for a 2 percent merit pay increase, which is unavailable to officers under disciplinary action. The new three-year contract creates more opportunities for officers to take courses at accredited universities and online. For officers to become sergeants, they need a bachelor’s degree, but hectic work schedules make it diffi

cult to take traditional classes, said UPD Sgt. Timothy Peck. The deal allows the department to stay competitive with other nearby police units, Peck said. “Our biggest issue is being competitive with other law enforcement agencies here locally and elsewhere, so that we can attract qualified candidates and also keep qualified officers,” he said.

The board also approved of the Florida Clinical Practice Association, Inc buying into the UF Health South Central, LLC, company, which includes Shands teaching hospitals and clinics, after South Central bought assets in Marion County on Dec. 29. The association paid $8 million for partnership with the company, half of the $16 million UF Health South Central paid for the properties, buildings and equipment in Marion County, UF spokesperson Janine Sikes said. David Guzick, the president of

UF Health, said the purchase will help expand its programs in Marion. A cardiology program opened Jan. 4, and orthopedic and radiology practices will open later. Guzick said the investment in these areas will help doctors with the clinical practice continue research and provide education. “We also have a responsibility, and it’s part of our mission to serve our communities,” Guzick said.

@romyellenbogen

rellenbogen@alligator.org