In 2017, Jazzmin Favours wants to grow more as a person.

“I want to speak up more amongst my peers and create more pieces of art,” the 19-year-old UF microbiology sophomore, said. “I got out of practice during 2016, and I didn’t paint anything at all.”

Favours is one of many UF students who began making resolutions as the clock inched toward midnight Saturday. While her goal is to improve her personal life, others want to eat healthier and improve their mental health in the new year.

Ryan Loveland, a 19-year-old UF nutritional sciences freshman, said he wants to focus on his health and his job as a certified nursing assistant.

“My New Year’s resolution is to keep up my grades, of course, go on a health mission trip, work more as a CNA and look at food as more of a nutritional, powerful interaction between our bodies and nature,” he said.

Like Loveland, UF history professor Steven Noll said he wants to improve his physical health. But maintaining his mental health is arguably just as vital, he said.

In 2017, he will undergo a knee surgery, follow his therapy regimen and continue to stay off social media to improve his overall health, he said.

“I want to get healthy so I can play basketball again, and I want to continue to stay off Facebook so my life will be sane,” Noll said.