Gainesville businesses brace for Valentine’s Day boom

Valentine’s Day is one of the busiest days of the year for florists, bakeries, restaurants and bars.

It’s no wonder that Scott Cavallo, owner of Floral Expressions Florist, located at 4414 NW 23rd Ave., has been working with customers and making sure the day turns out well for everyone in Gainesville.

Because so many customers wait to buy flowers until Feb. 14, Cavallo hired 40 extra drivers to make deliveries. He will personally work about 17 hours during the day — working from 4:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

“When I get home I will probably crack open a bottle of wine and pass out,” he said.

About 2,000 customers are expected for the money-generating holiday, he said, adding that he bought 35,000 roses that will be sold during the day.

“(Monday) was the grunt work, but Valentine’s Day is the day to get it all done,” Cavallo said.

The price for a dozen red roses is normally $65, but on the holiday it will cost about $80, he said.

If you prefer a cold beer, Swamp Head Brewery, located at 3650 SW 42nd Ave., will be hosting a beer and cookie tasting event, said Maya Oren, the brewery’s event planner said.

From 4 p.m. to 10 p.m., guests can taste Valentine-inspired brews like chocolate brownie, Mounds candy, raspberry lemonade and chocolate-covered cherry beer, along with the more than 75 boxes of Girl Scout cookies the bar ordered, she said.

The event costs $13 per person, she said, and Oren expects more than 300 people to attend.

“We had a similar event last year,” she said. “We did a beer tasting with Midnight Cookies.”

But this year, Midnight Cookies, located at 3345 SW 34th St., will be offering its own specials, according to its website.

The company plans to be busy selling heart-shaped signature cookies, cookie cakes and cookie bites, according to the website.

The Social at Midtown, 1728 W. University Ave., is hoping to draw in large crowds of singles, Brittany Lovvorn, an employee said. The bar and restaurant will open at 11 a.m. and all Valentine’s Day deals will be written on a chalkboard outside.

“(Today) will be single’s night,” she said. “We’re trying to hit the market for everybody that’s single so they can enjoy the holiday too.”