Gainesville prepares for potential frost, record cold

Gainesville may see record-breaking temperatures early Thursday as farmers across the city prepare for potential frost.

With temperatures predicted to drop as low as 28 degrees early Thursday, National Weather Service meteorologists are expecting to issue frost warnings for Wednesday and early Thursday.

“For this time last year, we’re talking 30 degrees warmer on both ends of the scale,” said Nate McDinnis, a meteorologist intern at the National Weather Service, adding that this time last year, there was a high of 89 degrees. This year, the temperature is expected to reach 62 degrees.

Gainesville’s previous temperature record for March 16 was 32 degrees in 1999.

While organizers said the frost isn’t going to deter preparations for the Kanapaha Gardens Spring Garden Festival this weekend, some farmers are taking precautions to protect their

crops.

Greg Rogers, the owner of Rogers Farm in Gainesville, said he was not prepared for the intensity of what is otherwise a regular winter occurrence.

The 53-year-old is concerned about protecting his peas, beans and strawberries this week, and has begun covering up the crops.

“If I lose this 150 acres of stuff I got, yeah I’m worried,” he said. “If it gets below freezing, it probably ain’t going to be too good.”

Veronica Robleto, the co-owner of Siembra Farm, is planning on harvesting her crops early this week — the tomatoes and eggplants are the biggest concern — in order to fulfill her weekly deliveries of vegetables and greens to local businesses and community members. She asked The Top, Alpin Bistro and other customers to submit their orders early.

“We’re going to do what we can to cover everything,” Robleto said. “But, as in much of farming, there’s a lot that’s left up to Mother Nature.”