Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A UF student driving a motorcycle on Southwest Archer Road remains in critical condition at UF Health Shands Hospital after a crash Monday.

Joe Steven Vincent Wagner, a 23-year-old engineering fifth year, was driving an Orange Kawasaki motorcycle east on Southwest Archer Road approaching Newell Drive when Starke resident Glory Edith Jackson, 71, turned her white Buick sedan left onto Newell Drive into Wagner’s path at about 11:45 a.m., Officer Ben Tobias, GPD spokesperson, wrote in an email.

Wagner was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash. Witnesses who saw the crash called police, and westbound Archer Road was closed at Southwest 13th Street for about two hours during the investigation, Tobias said.

An emergency room doctor, who was outside in the area when the crash happened, helped Wagner until an ambulance arrived to transport him to the hospital.

Investigators have not said who was at fault for the accident, but Tobias said speed was not a factor in the crash. It is unclear if Jackson was injured in the crash.

Almost one year ago, another UF student was killed riding the same type of motorcycle, a Kawasaki motorcycle, east on Southwest Archer Road. On March 25, 2016, 22-year-old Andreas Dinopoulos was hit by a large box truck turning onto Newell Drive, according to Alligator archives.

This article has been updated to reflect that the crash happened at 11:45 a.m., not 11:45 p.m.

Contact Meryl Kornfield at mkornfield@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @MerylKornfield