The world swarms around us, and yet we tightly clutch our Study Edge packets and scrounge for seats in Library West, focused on the finish line that we see so clearly. For some of us, this is the final countdown — just a few more days until we must face the real world and all it holds, good and bad. For others, this is just another push to the finish line before we start the next lap. Either way, this is the hardest part of the race. It’s bittersweet, though, as we present to you this semester’s final…

Darts & Laurels

Gainesville has been blessed by the dessert gods this week with both Thai-style ice cream store, Mr. Cool Ice Cream, and raw cookie dough spot, Do-Lish, opening up. It comes at a needed time during finals week, when we’re already turning to Gainesville classics such as Midnight Cookies, Karma Cream and Sweet Dreams Ice Cream in order to give our brains an extra kick. Gosh, have you ever noticed the quality of desserts in Gainesville? Sure, we have those typical chains like Cold Stone Creamery and the influx of frozen yogurt places, but there’s something so heartfelt and touching about the dessert made at our local favorites. We want to recognize this, so a laurel goes to the Gainesville dessert scene. Thank you for the much-needed calories and sugar kick. Those graduating will reminisce fondly.

It’s been a bad month or so for United Airlines. First, there was the dress code issue, when two girls were turned away for wearing leggings. There was a split in reaction — some arguing that girls should have the right to wear leggings, while others pointing out that United was simply following a company dress code policy. And then, of course, a passenger was literally dragged off the aircraft to accommodate airline staff members. The reaction to that has been pretty universal: It was a horrible move. Some shift the blame to the airport security, some directly blame United. Now, United was already having a bad month. To add to all of that, it looks like last week a scorpion stung one of their passengers on a flight to Calgary. In weak defense of United, this one isn’t entirely their fault, though of course they could’ve checked the overhead compartments more clearly. It’s quite evident that United needs to get it together. We’re throwing a dart their way. Good luck, PR team.

Arturo Di Modica, or as you might know him “the guy who made that bull sculpture in New York City,” is upset at the statue of a little girl placed in front of the bull. The Fearless Girl sculpture was installed a day before International Women’s Day. It was set to be taken down April 2 but remained up due to widespread interest. Di Modica’s lawyer, Norman Siegel, is arguing that the statue infringes upon Di Modica’s rights and distorts his message and that the Fearless Girl’s creator, Kristen Visbal, should have asked for and received Di Modica’s permission before the instillation. Which would kind of be a valid argument if the Charging Bull sculpture had not been installed without permission and kept by the demand of the people. The Associated Press reported that Di Monica installed the bronze bull “as a symbol of America’s financial resilience” following the 1987 stock market crash. A dart to Di Modica, who bases his argument on hypocritical claims, which, if you ask us, is a load of bull.

And lastly, we’d like to present a laurel to our graduating Gator class. Cliché, perhaps, but we here at the Alligator would like to send you off in style. Move forward boldly, graduates. Do good things in the world. Make us proud.