<p>UF pitcher Brady Singer walks off the field during Florida's 3-2 loss to Tennessee on April 8, 2017, at McKethan Stadium.</p>

UF pitcher Brady Singer walks off the field during Florida's 3-2 loss to Tennessee on April 8, 2017, at McKethan Stadium.

Austin Langworthy awaited the full count pitch from Vanderbilt’s Kyle Wright.

With two outs in the ninth following a Mark Kolozsvary single — Florida’s first base hit since the fifth inning —, the UF centerfielder represented the tying run down 2-0.

Wright flung up a backdoor curveball on the outside corner. Strike three.

Behind the arm of Wright, who stymied the Gators (23-12, 7-7 Southeastern Conference) all night, Vanderbilt evened the series at one Friday night in Nashville, Tennessee.

“I don’t remember him missing a spot,” UF head coach Kevin O’Sullivan said. “Give credit where credit’s due. He was great.”

Despite struggling for much of the season, Wright put together his best start of the season and arguably of his career against the Gators. The junior right-hander tossed a complete-game, three-hit shutout. He struck out 13 and walked none.

Florida starter Brady Singer held his own as well.

The sophomore scattered 11 hits over eight innings, allowing two runs and striking out eight Commodores (22-14, 7-7 SEC).

Vanderbilt’s lone runs came on a well executed squeeze bunt in the fifth and a sacrifice fly from Jeren Kendall in the seventh.

Though Singer took the loss, his second of the season, O’Sullivan gave high praise to him and Wright following the loss.

“That was the best pitched game by both sides I’ve seen in 10 years,” said O’Sullivan, who’s coached the likes of Logan Shore, A.J. Puk, Dane Dunning and many other top draft picks over the years. “It was incredible.”

At the plate, Florida was shut out for the first time this season. The goose egg followed back-to-back 10-run games for UF’s offense, which had struggled for much of the season and in SEC play.

O’Sullivan recognized his hitters simply ran into a pitcher that was on his game and will have to bounce back Saturday seeking a series win.

“I did not want our guys to hang our heads,” he said. “We’ve been playing really good.”

A radio broadcast contributed to this report. 

@pinakk12

ppinak@alligator.org