Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Gainesville Police arrested a married couple behind a Midtown bar after gunshots were heard Tuesday.

Berman Jose De Jesus Lozada, 28, and Sandi Jane Henneman, 25, were pointed out by a witness as being involved in a shooting

behind Balls sports bar, located at 1716 W. University Ave., at about 12:25 a.m., according to an arrest report.

Police found three bullet casings from a 9 mm gun behind a dumpster at the scene, said Officer Ben Tobias, GPD spokesperson.

While police were speaking with De Jesus Lozada, he readjusted his genitals and a magazine containing 9 mm bullets fell out, police said.

When the magazine fell, De Jesus Lozada stepped on it with his right foot to hide it from the officer he was talking to, according to the report.

He said he owned the magazine but had not shot anything, according to the report.

Police searched for a gun and asked to look in Henneman’s purse, according to the report.

They found five small bags of cocaine — weighing about 3.5 grams — on Henneman, Tobias said.

De Jesus Lozada served six years in prison in Puerto Rico for robbery, Tobias said.

Police arrested De Jesus Lozada on a charge of concealing evidence and Henneman on charges of possessing a controlled substance and possessing drug paraphernalia.

Authorities took the couple to Alachua County Jail. De Jesus Lozada remains, as of press time, in lieu of a $5,000 bond, and Henneman was released Tuesday afternoon on her own recognizance.

She could not be reached for comment.

Contact Meryl Kornfield at mkornfield@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @MerylKornfield