From Tom Petty to Less Than Jake, many an artist have gone from humble Gainesville beginnings to international fame. While massive tours and sold-out crowds may be the norm for these musicians nowadays, each and every one of them got their start in the local scene, opening for larger acts within their genre and slowly but surely gaining a fanbase.

For Michael Rizzo, known by his stage name Rezza, one could say he’s right in the middle of that journey. The hip-hop/rap artist got his start in Gainesville years ago and just recently made the move to Orlando.

Rezza has opened for everyone from Waka Flocka Flame to Curren$y at High Dive, gaining recognition from UF students and Gainesville locals over the years.  

This Friday, Rezza will headline his first ever show at High Dive to celebrate the release of his debut extended play, “The Ville.”

“I’m excited honestly to be able to do that kind of headline show,” Rezza said. “In my years going to High Dive I’ve always wanted to have my own thing.”

Rezza got his start when he was 16 while he was in high school. The now 23-year-old said he steadily began releasing remixes of popular songs every week, and the “persistent rate” got people knowing who he was.

By his freshman year at Santa Fe College, Rezza began opening for artists at High Dive. He said that over the course of about 15 shows, people at UF started to recognize him.

“I would always introduce myself as an artist … because that’s what the majority of people knew me as,” Rezza said. “My senior year people started calling me Rezza.”

After getting his Associate of Art’s degree at Santa Fe College in 2013, Rezza moved to Orlando, accepting a position with independent music collective A.M.H., which stands for All My Homies. Rezza said the group has allowed him to hone his sound while providing constant support and mentorship for him.

Rezza said his debut EP, “The Ville,” is representative of his transition from Gainesville to Orlando. The six-song EP features an arc, with harder beats at the beginning that flow into a smoother fade-out toward the end. He said the project gives a timeline for how he came up in the local scene before moving away.

Rezza said High Dive played a huge role in his development as a local artist. Pat Lavery, the facility and events manager at High Dive and owner of local promotion company Glory Days Presents, said the team at High Dive is proud of all Rezza has done throughout his music career so far.  

“It’s always incredibly satisfying to see an artist like this that you have worked with step by step along the way, who has been humble and worked hard, put in his time in the trenches, be rewarded for doing things the right way,” Lavery said.

He added that often artists want to “skip steps along the way” and jump into fame without thinking about what it actually takes to get there.

“Rezza has gotten to where he is by doing it the right way and being a student of the music business,” Lavery said. “We are proud of his accomplishments and honored to guide him along his journey as we host his release show.”

Rezza’s EP release show will take place at High Dive on Friday from 9:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. Tickets are $6 in advance and will be available for $8 at the door.

Royal Fam, XII, Ralph Lorenzo, Sully Geez and Big Win will open the show. Rezza said he brought these artists along to represent a diverse group of sounds, which is sure to keep the show interesting. Many of these artists have worked with Rezza in the past and are also members of A.M.H.

He added that attendees of Friday’s show might potentially receive exclusive content from the debut EP.  

“The Ville” will be officially released May 31 and will be available on SoundCloud, Spotify, Apple Music and Google Play.