In 1992, a man was tasked with heading UF’s athletic department — Jeremy Foley. From 1992 to 2016, the Gators had 10 teams win a combined 27 championships and ended up in the top 10 of the Learfield Directors’ Cup standings each year, which is presented to the nation’s best overall collegiate athletics program.  

After 25 years of service, Foley decided that his time as UF’s athletic director had come to an end. However, the 64-year-old is not ready to leave UF just yet. He will serve as the university’s athletic director emeritus and will be a professor of practice in sport leadership beginning Fall 2017.

Michael Sagas, the chair of UF’s Department of Tourism, Recreation and Sport Management, approached Foley about a teaching position after he stepped down as athletic director.

“When I found out he was retiring, I mentioned it to him one day,” Sagas said. “I said, ‘Would you be interested?’”

Foley will join the sport management faculty and serve as an instructional faculty member. The class Foley will teach will be geared toward people who have an interest in a leadership position such as sports information director or athletic director.

In addition to being a professor of practice, Foley will also be teaching an annual seminar on leadership in athletics.

He said he’s excited about this opportunity to teach because it brings him a challenge.

“It’s something that’s different,” Foley said. “It’ll be a challenge for me, and it’ll be fun.”

Foley said the one thing he’s looking forward to the most about being a professor of practice is interacting with students.

“I like students,” Foley said. “I like the energy they bring to the University of Florida.”

Contact David Street at dstreet@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter: @dstreet177.