Update 7:48 p.m. Wednesday —

Marlun Lenard Williams, 29, of Gainesville and Orlando, turned himself in at Alachua County Jail early Wednesday morning, GPD Spokesperson Officer Ben Tobias wrote in an email.

Update 7:48 p.m. Monday — 

At about 3:30 p.m., less than 12 hours after the first 911 call, investigators announced a possible suspect. GPD Spokesperson Officer Ben Tobias identified Marlun Lenard Williams, 29, of Gainesville and Orlando, in an email.

Officers are considering Williams to be armed and dangerous, believing that Williams may still be armed with the gun used in the murder. They are working with other law enforcement agencies to determine Williams’ location, Tobias said.

Officials have reason to believe that Williams may be traveling to Central Florida in a 1998 dark blue Ford Crown Victoria. Officers advise caution to anyone who sees Williams, Tobias said.

The original story is below.

Gainesville Police are investigating a shooting that left a man dead Monday morning at an apartment complex in northwest Gainesville.

Verl Harmon, 27, was found in the courtyard of Sunset Apartments, located at 1500 NW 12th St., at about 4:30 a.m. suffering from gunshot wounds in his torso. Officers quickly arrived on the scene after multiple people called 911, GPD Spokesperson Officer Ben Tobias wrote in an email.

Officers attempted to save Harmon’s life but were unsuccessful, and Harmon was pronounced dead at the scene. Tobias said police are unsure if anyone witnessed the actual shooting, but witnesses told police at least one suspect ran from the scene after shots were fired.

Police believe the shooter is not in the area any longer and the public is in no immediate danger. There is no description of the suspect at this point, Tobias said.

“Investigators are currently processing the crime scene for evidence and speaking with any possible witnesses,” Tobias wrote.

In the past month, GPD has responded to 30 calls from the apartment building, Tobias said.

Police do not know whether the shooter and victim knew each other prior to the shooting. Tobias said the family has not made a statement regarding Harmon’s death.

Police are asking anyone with information to call GPD’s Detective Bureau at 352-393-7670. Those wishing to remain anonymous are asked to call CrimeStoppers at 352-372-STOP.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.