Terri Bailey spent the last $20 in her pocket on a book. It was inevitable, she said.

Since moving back to Gainesville in 1997 and discovering Wild Iris Books, she can’t step inside the downtown bookstore without buying something.

“You never know what you’re going to find in there,” the 51-year-old said.

Wild Iris Books, a feminist bookstore located at 22 SE Fifth Ave., has been a haven for women’s rights activists like Bailey since opening in 1992. But after experiencing financial struggles, it will close on Dec. 23, said Erica Rodriguez Merrell, one of the owners.

The store, owned and operated entirely by volunteers, is hard to keep open during business hours because both owners also work full-time jobs, Merrell said.

She said the bookstore fosters a welcoming environment for people to discover new things about themselves with events such as a queer open mic night.

“Wild Iris is kind of this space where you can start those journeys and where you can come in and ask those questions,” she said.

Merrell said there may be an opportunity for Wild Iris Books to continue either through the help of investors or new ownership, but no official plans have been made.

Despite rallies and workshops for Gainesville’s feminist community, nothing can replace the void Wild Iris Books will leave, Bailey said.

“Sometimes you don’t need a movement, you need a home, and Wild Iris is home,” she said.

@jessica_giles_

jgiles@alligator.org