The Gators volleyball team looks to avenge its 2016 loss to Florida State

<p>UF libero Caroline Knop serves the ball during Florida's 3-0 win against Florida A&amp;M on Friday at the O'Connell Center.</p>

UF libero Caroline Knop serves the ball during Florida's 3-0 win against Florida A&M on Friday at the O'Connell Center.

Dec. 3, 2016 was a date to forget for the Florida Gators.

On the same day the football team was pommeled by Alabama in the SEC Championship game, the volleyball team suffered a heartbreaking loss of its own.

Then-senior and All-American Alex Holston had given Florida a 23-21 lead over FSU, pulling the Gators to within two points of a sweep over the Seminoles.

Then came four straight Seminole points, prying the third set from Florida’s grasp.

FSU went on to take the fourth and fifth sets, as well, stunning the Gators at home.

For just the third time in 26 years, Florida was knocked out in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

And that was the end to Florida’s 2016 season.

When the two in-state rivals meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, the No. 3 Gators (7-0) will get another chance to defend homecourt against the No. 19 Seminoles (6-1).

“We’re working really hard and want to be as disciplined as we possibly can,” redshirt freshman Mia Sokolowski said, “… and not make the same mistakes as we have done in the past.”

Senior libero Caroline Knop believes the team is better equipped to handle adversity this season.

“Being able to win when things aren’t going well is a skill we love to have here at Florida, and one we didn’t necessarily have last year,” Knop said following an opening weekend that saw the Gators rally past top-15 powerhouses Texas and Nebraska.

Middle blockers Rhamat Alhassan and Rachel Kramer have led the way for the Gators so far.

Alhassan, a senior, leads the nation in blocks per set.

Kramer’s .488 hitting percentage places the sophomore at fourth overall in the NCAA.

Florida has also relied on senior Carli Snyder, who may be the team’s most versatile athlete.

The outside hitter leads the Gators in kills and service aces, and is second in digs behind Knop.

Meanwhile, the Seminoles are led by a trio of seniors.

Outside hitters Natasha Calkins and Milica Kubura are first and second, respectively, in kills for FSU. Kubura is also second in blocks.

Libero Cecilie Woie has helped anchor the Seminoles’ defense with a team-high 135 digs.

Junior setter Brianne Burkert’s 97 digs are second behind Woie. Burkert also leads the team in assists.

As a whole, FSU will be chasing its second win over an SEC team this season. The Seminoles took down Auburn, 3-2, on Saturday.

Florida already has two wins against ACC foes. The Gators swept NC State and then-No. 16 North Carolina during the SEC-ACC Challenge in Puerto Rico.

Florida leads the all-time series against FSU 39-20, and UF is 32-6 against the ‘Noles under coach Mary Wise.

The top-25 matchup was originally scheduled for Sept. 12, but was pushed back a week due to Hurricane Irma. The match will be broadcast on the SEC Network.

You can follow Andrew Huang on Twitter @AndrewJHuang, and contact him at ahuang@alligator.org.