Veteran defensive back Nick Washington tasked with leading young unit

<p>Nick Washington goes to high-five Duke Dawson during UF's 33-17 loss against Michigan on Saturday at AT&amp;T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.</p>

Nick Washington goes to high-five Duke Dawson during UF's 33-17 loss against Michigan on Saturday at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

By the time Shawn Davis turned around, Tarik Black was gone.

The Michigan receiver raced past Davis to the 15-yard line, stepped underneath the high-arching pass and walked into the end zone. Touchdown.

Davis clapped his hands in frustration.

“We have to have them grow up,” redshirt senior safety Nick Washington said Tuesday. “They’re not young guys any more. They’ve got to come out and make plays.”

On Saturday, in its 33-17 loss to Michigan in Arlington, Texas, the Gators showcased a defensive backfield that featured at least three freshmen. At times, their inexperience showed.

There was Black’s 46-yard touchdown catch after a blown coverage by Davis in the first quarter. There was a 37-yard catch over freshman cornerback Marco Wilson, again by Black, in the second quarter.

But there were also flashes of talent, like freshman CJ Henderson’s interception return for a touchdown in the second quarter, a sign of hope for a defensive backfield littered with youth.

“They’re all talented, they all got really good ball skills, they’re all smart,” Washington said. “(But) sometimes, everyone has brain farts.”

This year, if Florida wants to rebound from its season-opening loss, it likely can’t afford many more mistakes from its younger players.

The Gators entered the season without four of its starting defensive backs from a year ago. Quincy Wilson, Teez Tabor and Marcus Maye all declared for the NFL Draft, while returning safety Marcell Harris was declared out for the season with a torn Achilles tendon in July.

“Every year, people count us out — the DBs — because we always lose great guys,” Washington said. “And every year, we always come back with just as much talent.”

With Harris unavailable, it has now become Washington’s job — suddenly the oldest member of a young defensive back group — to lead.

“They really don’t understand what it’s like to play in front of a crowd of 90,000 until it actually happens,” Washington said. “But I thought they did a great job.”

UF coach Jim McElwain agreed. On Monday, McElwain said he was impressed with the poise of the freshmen defensive backs in their first college game.

“I was happy with, more than anything, how they kind of stepped up to the moment,” McElwain said. “It was by no means too big for them.”

And if UF’s young defensive backfield hopes to improve, it will likely rely on veterans like Washington to help players like Davis and Wilson in the film room, at practice and on the field during game day.

“They’re a good group of young guys,” Washington said. “... (But) I do feel like an old man. I will not lie.”

You can follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @icohenb, and contact him at icohen@alligator.org.