Dinner celebrates different religions in honor of MLK Jr.

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-92d8ca64-315a-42aa-c5d5-e4aeb7e4c029">About 65 people of at least six religions — from Mormonism to Judaism to Hare Krishna — discussed their differences and similarities over a meal Wednesday night as part of the Multicultural and Diversity Affairs’ Martin Luther King Jr. Celebrations.</span> <span><br class="kix-line-break" /></span></p>

About 65 people of at least six religions — from Mormonism to Judaism to Hare Krishna — discussed their differences and similarities over a meal Wednesday night as part of the Multicultural and Diversity Affairs’ Martin Luther King Jr. Celebrations.

As they finished their plates of vegan pasta and tofu, people of different religions, strangers just hours before, were so immersed in conversation they kept talking as they walked out the door.

The UF Campus Multi-Faith Cooperative hosted the Faith in Diversity Progressive Dinner, said Very Rev. Catherine Dearlove, chair of the cooperative. The 2018 theme was “Building a Beloved Community through Advocacy and Justice.” The dinner has been continuing on-and-off for more than 10 years.

King’s dream was multifaceted, Dearlove said. But, overall, he wanted humanity to live in harmony.

“We can do that by listening to each other at events like this and truly trying to understand our differences and that we can still support each other,” she said.

The dinner had four main stops.

It started at UF Hillel when people congregated at 6 p.m. with their religious groups for appetizers. As they munched on vegetables, they wrote answers in marker on the paper tablecloth in response to the questions left there.

“What will you do better this year?” one asked.

After mingling, they went out the doors and walked about five minutes down University Avenue to University Lutheran Church for salad. While walking, they continued talking and introducing themselves to someone new.

They continued this trend onto St. Augustine Catholic Church for the main entree. Before dessert, they went to the Episcopal Chapel of the Incarnation where a staff member welcomed them to sit on the old-styled pews and take pictures.

Finally, they went to Gator Wesley for chocolate chip cookies, cinnamon rolls and worship.

Rabbi Adam Grossman, CEO of UF Hillel, said this was his fourth year participating in the dinner. Every year, he sees about the same amount of people, but the faces change, which makes each year unique.

“No matter where we come from, no matter our background, no matter how we look on the outside, within each of us is an aspect of God,” he said.

Hunter Jacques, a 21-year-old UF visual art studies junior, said he’s been on the search his whole life to find “the most truth.”

He tried several different beliefs, including Buddhism and reincarnation, until he landed on Mormonism. Jacques said he recently officially joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which had several members come to the dinner.

“I came here tonight in hopes to see God's plan continue to unveil as all of his children from differing denominations came together under one common goal — to spread the love of Christ,” he said.