A company made by UF researchers developed a test to identify patients with brain injuries

Doctors now have a quick way to identify patients with traumatic brain injuries while avoiding radiation and reducing costs.

Banyan Biomarkers developed the first blood test for identifying this called Banyan BTI – or Banyan Brain Trauma Indicator, said Nancy Denslow, a UF researcher and Banyan Biomarkers co-founder. The test was FDA-approved to be marketed on Feb. 14. The company is working with hospitals across the country to try to bring the test to emergency rooms and clinics.

The idea for the test was developed around the fact that there was no FDA-approved exam that quickly diagnosed mild to moderate traumatic brain injury.

Banyan Biomarkers was developed by three then-UF researchers – Denslow, Kevin Wang and Ron Hayes – who have been working together to develop this blood test. Hayes no longer works at UF.

Wang said the blood test is used to determine whether adult patients with mild to moderate traumatic brain injuries should stay at the hospital for further treatment.

He said the test is conducted by taking a small blood sample and closely examining it for two types of protein. If the doctor or lab assistant find the proteins, the patient may have brain trauma. The test results appear in 15 to 20 minutes.

Since 2003, the company has received more than $100 million from the U.S. Department of Defense and the National Institution of Health, Wang said.