crime tape
crime tape

A Newberry resident was arrested by Alachua County Sheriff’s Office on Sunday night for allegedly threatening a woman’s family to get money.

On June 14, Russell Hollingsworth, 55, allegedly left a sealed letter to the victim in her car. According to the letter, the woman’s husband had wronged so many people that he owed a total of $46,424.

Hollingsworth

The woman was instructed not to tell her husband or anyone about the letter. If she didn’t pay the money, the “Revenge Squad” would set up her son so he would go to prison for drugs, according to the letter.

It was also written in the letter that they would kidnap her daughter and have her raped, beaten, tortured and fed heroin until she was a “junkie hooker.”

The woman was instructed to make an initial payment and stick it under a portable toilet at a designated time and place, according to the arrest report.

After that, she would be able to make nine more payments on the 15th of every month at the same time and place.

On June 16, an ACSO officer dropped off the first payment of $100. The payment was picked up, but the camera didn’t capture the person who took it.

On July 15, the second payment was placed in the same spot by detectives. Numerous SWAT members and cameras were in place for if the suspect showed up.

At about 9:45 p.m., Hollingsworth reportedly arrived on Northwest Millhopper Road and picked up the package. As he was walking away, ACSO took him into custody.

Hollingsworth later said he didn’t like the woman’s husband, according to the arrest report. He said he used to work for her husband, who constantly screwed people over.

Hollingsworth reportedly just wanted the woman to “get smart” and leave her husband. He said that would be a way to get back at him.

According to Alachua County Jail records, ACSO charged Hollingsworth with extortion. His bond is set at $75,000.

Follow Jessica Curbelo on Twitter @jesscurbelo and contact her at jcurbelo@alligator.org.