Candidate Guide: Kayser Enneking

Kayser Enneking (D)

enneking

The issues:

Why are you running for this office?

I am running for State Senate because I am fed up with healthcare being used a political weapon. As a doctor I saw firsthand the tremendous benefits that Obamacare had when it came to providing greater access to healthcare. After Obamacare was passed I had the pleasure of treating many patients who had not had the ability to see a doctor in their entire adult lives, and our lawmakers have been throwing all of that progress out the window. I am running to advocate for patients in Florida, not only by improving our healthcare system, but by protecting and improving our public education, and preserving our environment.

In your view, what are the top three issues facing the district? How are you qualified to address these issues?

Access to healthcare, protecting and improving our public schools, and preserving the environment. If elected I would be the only medical doctor in the State Senate. Florida must expand Medicaid during the next Legislative Session and as a medical doctor I believe that I can best articulate the need for that. As a product of Gainesville’s public schools I benefited from an amazing public education. As a child I witnessed firsthand as Alachua County schools made tremendous strides towards in equality in education, watching my father serve as he served on the School Board when the schools were integrated. Today because of budget cuts and flawed policies in Tallahassee our schools are becoming less and less equipped to prepare our students and in a way that is impacting children of color worse than others. I want to go to Tallahassee to ensure that we fully fund our public schools and give our students and teachers the tools that they need to succeed. North Central Florida is home to some of the most beautiful places in the world, including our amazing natural springs. Our future depends on the quality of our springs and drinking water, but policies established over recent years have ignored this by paving the way for decreased regulation and increased pollution. I want to go to the State Senate to make sure that our water quality and environmental protection is a top priority.

How would you assess the performance of Governor?

Rick Scott has failed the State of Florida. Rick Scott has refused to give Floridians the care that they need by not expanding Medicaid. He has also stripped down our State’s environmental regulations and allowed for countless alg. blooms which have devastated the environment in Florida. And last but certainly not least he has signed numerous bills into law that have stripped our public education of both the funding and tools that they need to help our students to succeed.

How would you assess the performance of the Florida Senate, how it works and the ability of individuals to make a difference?

Just like Rick Scott our State Senate has failed the people of Florida. The Senate has folded to disastrous policies time and time again, with in action on the health crisis facing Florida and the passage of bills that harm our public schools and the environment. The good news in the Florida Senate is that there are more Democrats there now than there have been in a long time and with the elections this year we may soon be in a position where real change can be made to counteract the devastating policies put forward in years past.

What more could be done to curb gun violence? Share your opinion on the changes to school safety and gun ownership enforced in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Public Safety Act.

I believe that we need a ban on assault weapons and large capacity magazines. We also need to mandate background checks for all firearms purchases or transfers in Florida. I supported measures in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Public Safety Act that increased the age to purchase a rifle to 21 and that banned bump stocks. However, I would have opposed the bill as it enabled guns to be allowed in our children’s classrooms, which is not something that we should ever allow.

The Stand Your Ground Law has been highly controversial. Do you think the law is working or is there something lawmakers should do to change it?

Stand Your Ground must be immediately repealed. This is a racist law that has allowed for the slaughter on innocent people of color and has no place in our justice system. Unfortunately, over the past two years the Legislature including Keith Perry voted to expand the law to make it easier to use Stand Your Ground as a defense. I will do everything that I can to see this law eliminated while in the State Senate.

When Richard Spencer came to the University of Florida’s campus last year, the administration at first barred him from renting a space to speak. They later reversed that and allowed the event to take place on campus. What did you think of the decisions made during this?

There is no easy answer if this is considered a free speech issue. However, Richard Spencer spews hate speech and incites violence. I would have denied his request and seen him in court. There is no place for his hateful rhetoric in our community.

Do you support legalizing marijuana for recreational use and why?

Yes, I support legalizing marijuana for recreational use. I believe that laws banning its use are enforced in a racially biased way that is only serving to help private prisons and hurt our communities. I would like to see a system put in place like what Colorado has, and use the increased tax revenue to help increase funding for public education.

Do you support a $15 minimum wage and why?

Yes. I support raising the minimum wage to $15 and tying future increases to the cost of living index. No one should work 40 hours a week and still be unable to provide for our family. We have an obligation to ensure that all people are afforded not just a minimum wage but a living wage.

Sexual assault is a serious issue on college campuses. What, if anything, should lawmakers do to address concerns raised by the #MeToo movement and other instances of unwanted sexual harassment and assault?

We need to ensure better and more humane reporting processes for victims of sexual assault. Too often victims are ignored or not taken seriously. We need to establish a system where instances of assault or abuse will not go unreported due to a victim’s fear of not being taken seriously. We also need to address instances of sexual assault and abuse amongst employees and those in leadership roles. Too often this occurs because of an abuse of power differentials. As someone in a leadership role I have held a zero-tolerance policy for clear abuses of power differentials. This needs to be implemented and enforced across the board.

How do you hope to address North Central Florida’s economy and growth?

I want to expand Medicaid in Florida which would do a number of things to help our economy. Not only would this provide much needed healthcare access to our people, but the increased number of patients would stimulate growth in one of the biggest economic drivers in our area.

We also need to increase funding for our job training and apprenticeship programs to ensure that the people of North Central Florida have access to the tools they need to succeed in today’s workforce.

How would you gauge threats to the environment and what do you hope to do about them?

I think that we need to have environmental standards set according to the best possible scientific data that we have, which is currently not being done. We also need to ensure that our regulatory agencies are led by individuals that possess qualifications related to the field that they oversee. We need more scientists in charge of our environmental policy. As a State Senator I will only confirm qualified nominees to lead our environmental regulatory agencies.

What is your opinion of the Sunshine Law?

I support open and transparent government. I approve of the policies making up the Sunshine Law, as we deserve to know what leads our lawmakers to make the decisions that they do, from start to finish.

What is an example of a policy or issue you have changed your view on in the last 20 years?

Over the past 20 years like many others I have changed my view on the legalization of marijuana for recreational use. Over the years as more information has come out regarding the societal impacts that our current marijuana laws have had it has become clear that they do far more harm than good, and it is time for a change.

Do you support voting on college campuses?

Absolutely yes, we should take as many steps as we can to make voting more accessible for everyone.

The campaign:

Is there anything you want us to know about your opponent(s)?

Keith Perry has failed our community in the State Senate. His voting record on major issues such as education, the environment, health care, and stand your ground are appalling and do not represent our best interests.

Why should voters vote for you?

I have spent my life caring for this community, as lifeguard in my teens, a doctor today, and I hope as a State Senator. I know the hardships that people from this diverse district face every day and want to go to the State Senate to see that everyone gets the support that they need to thrive. If elected I would be the only doctor in the State Senate which is a perspective that I think we really need.

Miscellaneous:

What type of student were you in college?

I would describe myself as having been nerdy Sunday through Thursday.

What is the last music concert you saw?

Gainesville Symphony Orchestra

Who is your political hero? Why?

My father Bill Enneking is my political hero. While he was recognized around the world as a leading orthopedic surgeon, the thing that my father was most proud of was his work serving as a member of the Alachua County School Board as we desegregated the schools.

I look at my father’s legacy as a prime motivating factor for my own run for State Senate. While I have a lot to be proud of when it comes to my career as a doctor, from the patients I have cared for to the other women that I have mentored, like my Pop I want to be able to look back and know that I have made a lasting impact for my entire community through public service.

What is the best advice you have ever gotten?

“Treat others as you would like your family to be treated.” -My Mom