UPDATE: Three people, including suspected shooter, dead in Jacksonville

<p>Police barricade a street near the Jacksonville Landing in Jacksonville, Fla., Sunday, Aug. 26, 2018. Florida authorities are reporting multiple fatalities after a mass shooting at the riverfront mall in Jacksonville that was hosting a video game tournament. (AP Photo/Laura Heald)</p>

Police barricade a street near the Jacksonville Landing in Jacksonville, Fla., Sunday, Aug. 26, 2018. Florida authorities are reporting multiple fatalities after a mass shooting at the riverfront mall in Jacksonville that was hosting a video game tournament. (AP Photo/Laura Heald)

Update, 8 p.m.:

Three people, including the suspected shooter, are dead after a mass shooting in a Jacksonville Landing restaurant, Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said in a media briefing.

The names of the two deceased victims were not confirmed.

Nine victims were shot and injured and two others were injured while fleeing, Williams said.

David Katz, 24, of Baltimore, MD, was named as the suspected shooter. Williams said FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms are confirming his identity. Katz shot himself.

Katz came to Jacksonville to compete in the Madden 19 gaming competition. The motive is unknown, according to the sheriff’s office.

Police received 911 calls at 1:34 p.m. and responded within two minutes, according to the sheriff’s office. Nearby businesses were shut down and evacuated.

One handgun was used during the shooting, Williams said.

Update, 6:45 p.m.:

Multiple injured victims were taken to local hospitals.

Six people were taken to UF Health Shands in Jacksonville, said spokesperson Dan Leveton in an email. One is in serious condition and five are in good condition.  

Three people are in stable condition at Memorial Hospital, said hospital spokesperson Pete Moberg.

One person has been released from Baptist Medical Center after being treated for a minor injury, said spokesperson Cindy Hamilton.

Update, 4:30 p.m.:

One suspect is dead after a mass shooting inside a restaurant in Jacksonville Landing, Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said in a media briefing.

The suspect is a white male, and police are still confirming his identity, Williams said.

Williams did not confirm an official count of dead or injured victims who were taken to hospitals.

Original:

Multiple people are dead, including at least one suspect, after a mass shooting at the Jacksonville Landing entertainment complex at 2 p.m. Sunday, said the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office on Twitter.

Police are asking people to stay away from the area.

“Mass shooting at the Jacksonville Landing. Stay far away from the area.  The area is not safe at this time. STAY AWAY#TheLandingMassShooting.”

The shooting began during a Madden 19 video game tournament, according to CNN. A livestream of the game was cut off after gunshots.    

SWAT is searching the area for people hiding in Jacksonville Landing, some of whom have been found in locked areas of the complex. Police are asking people not to run.

Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry and Sheriff Mike Williams are expected to address the media later today, according to the City of Jacksonville on Twitter.

This story will be updated.

Contact Amanda Rosa at arosa@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @AmandaNicRosa