<p>Guy Vaughn Sherrer</p>

Guy Vaughn Sherrer

A man was brought into jail with two black eyes after he ran over a pregnant woman with his car Sunday night, deputies said.

Guy Vaughn Sherrer, 56, of Hawthorne, is accused of reversing his car to hit a woman he knew was eight months pregnant on the 15000 block of County Road 325, in Hawthorne, according to an arrest report.

The woman told deputies she argued with Sherrer about a lighter he left inside the house while he was in his car, the report said. She was standing behind the car when Sherrer began to drive forward.

Sherrer suddenly reversed the car and hit the woman, deputies said. The woman fell over and was stuck underneath the car until her fiancé pulled her out from underneath.

The fiancé told deputies he was outside and watched the argument happen, the report said. Sherrer tried to leave after he ran over the woman, but the fiancé took the keys from inside the car.

The fiancé punched Sherrer several times to keep him from leaving, deputies said. Sherrer got away but was found about two miles south of the house.

Sherrer was charged with aggravated battery of a pregnant woman and is held in Alachua County Jail without bond.

Contact Amanda Rosa at arosa@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @AmandaNicRosa

Guy Vaughn Sherrer