Former UF faculty files lawsuit against UF for sexual harassment, retaliation

A former UF chief of the forensic psychiatry division filed a lawsuit against the UF Board of Trustees alleging retaliation after reporting sexual harassment from one of his bosses. 

Joel Silberberg and his attorney Marie Mattox filed the lawsuit on Aug. 24. The lawsuit claims Silberberg was sexually harassed by Marika Brigham, the chief financial officer and an administrator for UF’s Department of Psychiatry. Court records say Silberberg was retaliated against after reporting it.

Brigham “took an immediate dislike” to Silberberg and didn’t offer him privileges other faculty had, according to court records. 

When he tried to discuss this with Brigham, she engaged in “physical touching that was both hostile and unwelcome,” which included pinching Silberberg’s butt once, according to the complaint. 

Silberberg notified Regina Bussing, the chair of the psychiatry department, on Jan. 20, 2017 about two incidents of sexual harassment involving Brigham. Silberberg filed a formal complaint of sexual harassment on Aug. 28, 2017, according to court records. 

UF investigated and concluded there was no sexual harassment, according to the complaint. 

Brigham could not be reached for comment. 

After Silberberg filed the report, Bussing retaliated against Silberberg by ostracizing, marginalizing and denying him opportunities, according to the complaint. 

Silberberg was sent a notice of non-reappointment on June 28, 2017. After this, he was excluded from “all clinical, teaching and administrative duties” and ordered to work remotely, according to the complaint. 

Mattox said Silberberg hasn’t been able to find comparable alternative employment and is hoping a jury will award him suitable compensation.

“He was devastated by his termination,” she said.

He has suffered wage losses, emotional distress and harm to his reputation, according to the complaint. Silberberg is claiming more than $15,000 of damages. 

Steve Orlando, a UF spokesperson, said UF denies Silberberg’s claims in the lawsuit and will vigorously defend against them. UF did not offer further comment because the litigation is pending.

Contact McKenna Beery at mbeery@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @mckennabeery