<p><span>Rookie defensive tackle Taven Bryan played 18 snaps and recorded a tackle in Jacksonville’s Week-1 contest against New York.</span></p>

Rookie defensive tackle Taven Bryan played 18 snaps and recorded a tackle in Jacksonville’s Week-1 contest against New York.

Debuts, big plays and injuries defined Week 1 for the Florida Gators’ NFL alumni.

Taven Bryan, one of the football team’s few bright spots last season, was the highest pick (29) in the draft from UF and made his regular-season debut with the Jacksonville Jaguars against the New York Giants on Sunday. He is currently sitting behind First Team All-Pro Calais Campbell and Pro Bowler Malik Jackson on an already-stacked Jacksonville defensive line. Bryan still played 18 snaps and made one tackle.

Florida fans who didn’t get enough of watching Tommy Townsend punt on Saturday were able to watch his much-beloved older brother, Johnny, punt for the Oakland Raiders. The older Townsend punted four times in his NFL debut, totaling 178 yards with a long of 55 and an average of 44.5.

Raiders teammate and kicker Eddy Pineiro, the other half of arguably the most popular special teams unit in Florida history, was moved to the injured reserve with a groin injury.

46 former Gators across 25 teams were on NFL rosters last week, but the Pittsburgh Steelers had the most of any NFL team with five.

Maurkice Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert had big days on the Steelers’ offensive line, as they opened up holes for James Conner to run through all day long to the tune of 135 yards on 31 carries and two touchdowns.

Jon Bostic and Joe Haden both started for the Steelers on defense with Bostic in particular having a solid game and providing stability to a Pittsburgh linebacking corps that badly misses Ryan Shazier.

The former Gators that had arguably the biggest impact on their NFL teams were with Washington in its game against the Arizona Cardinals.

Tight end Jordan Reed, playing his first regular season game since Week 8 of last year, caught four passes for 48 yards and a touchdown to give his team a commanding 21-0 lead at the end of the first half. Cornerback Quinton Dunbar tallied four tackles and an interception as Washington held the Cardinals to just 153 passing yards. Dunbar played wide receiver with the Gators but converted to cornerback as an undrafted free agent.  

The Atlanta Falcons headed into this season starting a tandem of former Florida defensive backs, Keanu Neal and Brian Poole, for the third-consecutive season against the Philadelphia Eagles. Poole recorded five tackles, a sack and a pass defended against the defending Super Bowl champions.

Neal, however, saw his season come to an end when he suffered a torn ACL in a non-contact injury at the end of the first half.

Caleb Sturgis won the Chargers’ kicking battle leading up to their first game of the season. Sturgis made his first two attempts from 39 and 45, respectively, but he missed a 48-yard attempt that would have made it a one-possession game. The Chargers would lose to the Chiefs 38-28.

New Orleans linebacker Alex Anzalone returned to regular-season action for the first time since Week Four of last season. He had four total tackles and forced a fumble.

You can follow Brendan Farrell on Twitter @Bfarrell727 or contact him at bfarrell@alligator.org.