<p>Courtesy of Alachua County Sheriff's Office</p>

Courtesy of Alachua County Sheriff's Office

A 16-year-old girl accused of threatening a Buchholz High School student with an unloaded gun on campus Wednesday morning was arrested by deputies.

The girl confronted a female student in the hallway and pointed an unloaded 9mm handgun at her, said Alachua County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Brett Rhodenizer.

The Sheriff’s Office has not released the suspect’s name because she is a minor, Rhodenizer said. It is unknown where she got the gun.

The suspect was a Buchholz student last year was not enrolled this year. Rhodenizer could not confirm if she had any disciplinary issues while she was a student or say why she left the school.

The suspect and student had a prior relationship, Rhodenizer said.

The two girls argued and fought. The suspect pulled out the handgun and threatened the shoot the student, Rhodenizer said.

The student calmed the suspect down and ended the argument. The student went back to class and the suspect went to the school’s clinic, Rhodenizer said.

Clinic staff noticed the suspect was acting strange and called the School Resource Deputy. When the deputy arrived, the student became nervous and admitted there was a gun in her backpack, Rhodenizer said.

As the deputy was escorting the suspect to a school office to interview her, she began fighting and resisting. The deputy took her to a patrol car instead and called paramedics to check her physical condition, Rhodenizer said.

A gun-detection deputy and K-9 checked the campus for any other guns.

She was brought to Regional Juvenile Detention and was charged with aggravated assault, armed trespassing, bringing a firearm on campus and resisting with violence.  

Buchholz High School sent parents an email at 3 p.m. about the incident, said Alachua County Public Schools spokesperson Jackie Johnson.

“Here at school, we will be working with our SROs to remind all students to immediately report a weapon or any other suspicious activity on campus,” the email said. “We ask that you reinforce that message at home.”

Contact Amanda Rosa at arosa@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @AmandaNicRosa