<p>A GPD officer speaks with students and campus volunteers in front of Library West on Monday night. UPD combined with GPD to increase campus patrols following four assaults that happened on and near campus within the span of nine days.</p>

A GPD officer speaks with students and campus volunteers in front of Library West on Monday night. UPD combined with GPD to increase campus patrols following four assaults that happened on and near campus within the span of nine days.

Library West may soon be running for 24 hours again.

The Office of the Provost will give Student Government $160,000 to fund extended hours at Library West until the end of June 2021, if a bill is passed in UF SG Senate Tuesday night, said Emily Dunson, the SG Budget and Appropriations Committee chairwoman.

The office stopped funding Library West’s overnight hours at the end of the Spring semester following the release of a study on the library’s use, said UF Student Body President Ian Green.

The bill stated that $83,200 will go to hire more employees, $16,960 to hire more students, $54,400 in security costs and $5,440 to pay custodians overtime.

The committee will meet again 9:30 a.m. Friday in the SG conference room on the third floor of the Reitz Union, Dunson wrote in an email.

Library West will be funded while a research study on its overnight use is being conducted, the bill stated. The Provost will review the study in 2021 to see if there was an increase in use.

The assessment is necessary because classes will become more demanding over the next few years, Green said. The rigor is expected to increase as UF strives to become a top five public university.

“It’s important to effectively provide a library that gives all Gators the necessary time and flexibility to succeed in all their academic endeavors,” Green said.

Contact Gillian Sweeney at gsweeney@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @gilliangsweeney

Correction: This story has been updated to reflect that the $160,000 transfer for Library West will come from the Student Government reserve account, not the Office of the Provost.