Tropical Storm Gordon to pass through Florida, but Gainesville not at risk

<p>Courtesy of the National Weather Service</p>

Courtesy of the National Weather Service

Tropical Storm Gordon shouldn’t threaten the Gainesville area, a Jacksonville National Weather Service meteorologist said.

The storm, which began as a potential tropical cyclone last week in the Florida Keys, became a tropical storm this morning, meteorologist Nate McGinnis said.

North Florida will experience scattered showers and thunderstorms with about a half-inch of rain and wind speeds of 10 miles per hour starting Monday, he said. The storm has maximum wind speeds of nearly 45 miles per hour and will primarily affect South Florida. No warnings of flash flooding have been issued.

“I wouldn’t say it’s going to be anything too impressive where we’re gonna need to issue any advisories.” McGinnis said.

The storm is forecasted to potentially make landfall in eastern Louisiana and southern Mississippi late Tuesday night, McGinnis said. A Hurricane Warning is in place for the Gulf Coast. 

Gordon is expected to move across the southern tip of the Florida peninsula Monday morning and over the southeastern area of the Gulf of Mexico beginning Monday afternoon, according to a report from the National Hurricane Center. 

Contact Dana Cassidy at dcassidy@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @danacassidy_