Gators in the NFL: Burton shines, Tabor nets career day

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-4cd1c54e-7fff-cb80-efeb-2f56b76ffeb4"><span>Chicago Bears tight end Trey Burton caught nine passes for a career-high 126 yards Sunday in a 38-31 loss to New England on Sunday. &nbsp;</span></span></p>

Chicago Bears tight end Trey Burton caught nine passes for a career-high 126 yards Sunday in a 38-31 loss to New England on Sunday.  

Week 7 of the NFL season did not stray from the status quo.

The Los Angeles Rams remained undefeated after another three-touchdown outing from presumptive MVP Todd Gurley. Tom Brady and the New England Patriots found a way to win. The Cleveland Browns found a way to lose again in overtime. And the Florida Gators were well represented on rosters around the league.

During a bye week for the UF football team, several Gators stood out at the next level.

Chicago Bears tight end Trey Burton caught nine passes for a career-high 126 yards and a touchdown in the loss to New England. This was the third consecutive game in which Burton has scored, as he has clearly asserted himself as a reliable target for Mitchell Trubisky.

Washington Redskins tight end Jordan Reed hauled in two passes for 43 yards in a win over the Dallas Cowboys. Reed has yet to click with new quarterback Alex Smith, failing to score a touchdown since Week 1, nor has he topped 70 yards in any game this season.

Detroit Lions linebacker Jarrad Davis totaled seven tackles and one sack in a road win over the Miami Dolphins. The 2017 first-round pick is steadily making a name for himself in the Lions’ defensive unit, having recorded three sacks and a forced fumble so far this season. Davis’ teammate and cornerback Teez Tabor also had seven tackles in the win against Miami.

The Kansas City Chiefs lit up the Cincinnati Bengals defense on Sunday Night Football. Bengals defensive end Carlos Dunlap sacked Patrick Mahomes and recorded one other tackle, but as a unit, Cincinnati was picked apart by Mahomes.

Dante Fowler Jr. and the Jacksonville Jaguars fell to the Houston Texans on Sunday, but the defensive end recorded his first sack of the season against Deshaun Watson. Atlanta Falcons cornerback Brian Poole totaled four tackles in a win Monday night over the New York Giants. Poole has had to step up in the secondary with fellow former Gator and teammate Keanu Neal sidelined for the season with a torn ACL.

Follow Kyle Wood on Twitter @Kkylewood or contact him at kwood@alligator.org.