Flowers will bloom in the wake of school staff member's death

<p dir="ltr"><span>Volunteers spread hay after planting marigolds, milkweed and other perennials beside an outdoor classroom at Stephen Foster Elementary School. They took the day to beautify the campus in the wake of media specialist Leslie Williams’ death. Gillian Sweeney / Alligator Staff</span></p><p><span> </span></p>

Volunteers spread hay after planting marigolds, milkweed and other perennials beside an outdoor classroom at Stephen Foster Elementary School. They took the day to beautify the campus in the wake of media specialist Leslie Williams’ death. Gillian Sweeney / Alligator Staff

Children scattered sunflower seeds in a garden Sunday to remember Leslie Williams.

About 30 parents, students and community members came together to clean up Stephen Foster Elementary School after the killing of Williams, a media specialist at the school, said Kathy Anderson, the president of the elementary school’s Parent Teacher Association.

Williams, 57, and her daughter Paige Williams, 15, were found dead in their home Nov. 16 from stab wounds. Williams’ husband Paul Graves Williams, 61, was arrested after he was accused of killing his wife and daughter.

Volunteers planted a garden and repainted the black chalkboard in the school’s outdoor classroom, Anderson, 34, said. They also raked leaves throughout the campus.

A vigil honoring Williams’ life will be held at 5:30 p.m. Thursday on the covered courts at Stephen Foster Elementary School, Anderson said. The PTA is working with the school to dedicate a bench for reading in Leslie Williams’ memory.

Anderson said Williams was enthusiastic about reading and her work with kids. Williams inspired the elementary school students to read books even in a time of many digital distractions.

Volunteers remember Leslie Williams by tending to a garden beside an outdoor classroom at Stephen Foster Elementary School. Williams worked at the school until she died in a double homicide.

Williams started a morning news broadcast at the school, Anderson said. It replaced the traditional morning announcements over the school’s speaker system in favor of a news video that is projected on the whiteboards in classrooms.

“She was sunshine,” Anderson said. “We want for her memory to live on.”

As an avid home gardener, Katie Andrews, a 51-year-old volunteer, helped people plant milkweed and marigold plants to attract butterflies to the outdoor classroom.

Although Andrews said she did not know Williams personally, both of her sons were students at the elementary school. She learned about Williams’ death and wanted to help out.

“I heard that she was someone who loved plants and just wanted to make the school a beautiful place,” Andrews said.

Contact Gillian Sweeney at gsweeney@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @gilliangsweeney