<p>Nicolette Jennings, a 22-year-old UF telecommunication alumnus and former president of UF’s Gamma Iota chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha, waves after being crowned the 2019 Miss Florida USA.  </p>

Nicolette Jennings, a 22-year-old UF telecommunication alumnus and former president of UF’s Gamma Iota chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha, waves after being crowned the 2019 Miss Florida USA.  

Nicolette Jennings competed in her first pageant at the age of 17.

Five years later, the UF telecommunication alumna will compete for the title of Miss USA.

On Jan. 19, the 22-year-old former president of UF’s Gamma Iota chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha was crowned the 2019 Miss Florida USA. She is now eligible to compete in the national pageant later this year, Jennings said. The date has not been announced yet.

“I’m not a big crier, but when I won I don’t think I’ve ever cried so much,” Jennings said. “I keep thinking I’m going to wake up, and this will all be a dream.”

Jennings spent about $10,000 and nine months preparing for Miss Florida USA, she said. She worked with a personal trainer, an interview coach and a walking coach who flew in from Colombia. She also took hair and makeup lessons and traveled from Florida to Ohio to pick out her gown.

Jennings has competed in several pageants, including Miss Florida USA, which she participated in three times before being crowned.

With her new platform, Jennings wants to raise awareness for breast cancer, since it affects so many women, she said. She will also be work closely with Best Buddies, an organization that works with people who have intellectual and developmental disabilities.

“Each year you grow, but the growth I’ve had since starting back in 2014 to now is amazing,” Jennings said. “I wouldn’t be the same person if I hadn’t competed in pageants.”

Jaclyn Weber, a 21-year-old UF marine sciences junior, said she is incredibly proud of Jennings’ accomplishments. The two met about six years ago through pageants and are both sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha at UF.

“Ever since I’ve known Nicolette I knew she was going to do something like this one day,” Weber said. “I could see her being Miss USA or even Miss Universe. It’s crazy.”

Contact Lakshmi Gomez at lgomez@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @lakshmigomez_.