Cuban UF students collect donations for tornado victims

<p><span>Boxes and bags collect in Carr in the Marston Science Library basement to be delivered to the victims of a strong tornado that hit Havana, Cuba on Sunday.</span></p>

Boxes and bags collect in Carr in the Marston Science Library basement to be delivered to the victims of a strong tornado that hit Havana, Cuba on Sunday.

Adriana Padron was scrolling through Facebook during her Monday morning bus commute when she saw something horrendous on her timeline.

The Cuban native and a 19-year-old UF nutritional sciences sophomore saw the devastation of one the strongest tornadoes in her country’s history.

The photos of roads filled with debris and colonial homes torn to shreds inspired her to help the people of Havana, she said.

The Category F3 tornado struck the capital Sunday night and injured almost 200 people, according to The Associated Press.

On Thursday evening, the Cuban American Student Association collected more than 35 boxes and bags of canned food, clothes, toiletries and medical supplies in the Marston Science Library for those affected by the tornado, said Daniella Roselló, the vice president of the Cuban American Student Association.

“Helping the people of Cuba is like helping my own family,” said Roselló, a 20-year-old UF political science and economics sophomore.

The organization is partnering with Montes de Oca Travel, a travel agency that charters flights to Cuba, to get the items to the people, Padron said. She said the organization has committed to filming the exchange of materials to make sure the people in need actually receive the donations.

“I always see it happening to other countries, but I never thought something so close could happen to me,” Padron said.