<p>”The Proposal” is the first rom-com on this list, because Sandra Bullock gives an intriguing performance as a career-driven woman forced into a relationship for her immigration status, which is quite different than most romantic comedies and makes this film particularly hilarious.</p>

”The Proposal” is the first rom-com on this list, because Sandra Bullock gives an intriguing performance as a career-driven woman forced into a relationship for her immigration status, which is quite different than most romantic comedies and makes this film particularly hilarious.

It’s Valentine’s Day week and everyone is in the mood to add a little bit more love to their lives. Whether you’re in a relationship or not, romantic comedies are an integral part of our average media consumption. So, as you figure out how to spend time with the people that you care about the most, including yourself, take the time and watch a good movie or two about love and life.

Top rom-coms

1. “The Proposal”

Any Sandra Bullock movie really is great, but “The Proposal” is an interesting take on a romantic comedy because it plays on the idea of not being in love with someone that you’re with for an extended period of time. The premise of the movie is simple — a tough career-focused woman is faced with deportation and must quickly marry before being sent back to Canada. Her only option is to marry her devoted assistant, played by Ryan Reynolds.

1. “50 First Dates”

Nothing says “I love you” more than a film completely dedicated to someone getting another person to fall in love with them repeatedly. Main character Henry Roth (Adam Sandler) lives in Oahu, Hawaii, and meets a sweet and beautiful young woman named Lucy Whitmore (Drew Barrymore). To his sad surprise, the next day she has no recollection of their meeting and his existence. Once Henry is made aware of her situation, he vows to win her love every single day.

1. “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days”

Nothing screams “rom-com” more than a movie about falling in love with the person you’re trying to get rid of in the end. In this movie, Andie (Kate Hudson) is a magazine columnist tasked with coming up with the next great idea. While at a networking dinner, Andie comes up with the idea of creating a dating advice column on how to lose a guy in 10 days. At that same party, resident serial dater Ben (Matthew McConaughey) bets his friend that he can get a girl, who becomes Andie, to fall in love with him in 10 days. Thus, both end up in a spiteful relationship at odds with each other, but along the way learn the true character of the other person and fall in love.

1. “500 Days of Summer”

In this odd take on a romantic film, rather than having two characters fall in love, viewers learn about the past of the main characters while they were “dating” and initially fell in love.Then, we look at the relationship of the two main characters and how they got to their point now.

1. “Pretty Woman”

What is sometimes referred to as the modern Cinderella, this classic film is the tale of two people from different worlds falling in love. While on a business trip in Los Angeles, Edward (Richard Gere), picks up a hooker, Vivian (Julia Roberts).  After Edward hires Vivian to stay with him for the weekend, the two get closer and try to become people that can fit in the other’s world.