Florida outmuscles Alabama, wins first SEC series of season

<p dir="ltr"><span>Florida designated hitter Nelson Maldonado went 5 for 11 during UF's weekend series against Mississippi State.</span></p>
<p><span>&nbsp;</span></p>

Florida designated hitter Nelson Maldonado went 5 for 11 during UF's weekend series against Mississippi State.

An offensive explosion by way of the long ball highlighted the game on Saturday night.

Florida and Alabama combined to hit six home runs during the game with UF sending five over the left-field wall.

That firepower boosted the No. 24 Gators baseball team to its first SEC series win, as it defeated the Alabama Crimson Tide 12-3 at Alfred A. McKethan Stadium on Saturday evening.

Gators shortstop Brady McConnell gave UF (19-10, 3-5 SEC) the early lead in the bottom half of the first when he smashed his fourth homer of the year.

The early advantage was short lived, though. Alabama (20-8, 2-6 SEC) tied the game in the second when first baseman Drew Williamson blasted his first homer of the year on a 1-0 pitch from Florida starter Tyler Dyson.

The Gators scored four runs off three long balls to up their advantage to 5-1 in the bottom of the third inning.

Center fielder Jacob Young hit a solo homer, his third of the season.

Two batters later, senior captain Nelson Maldonado sent a two-run bomb that reached the bleachers in left field. He was one of six Florida players to register multiple hits.

Right fielder Wil Dalton saved the longest one for last, clearing the bleachers in left with his third home run of the season.

"It hasn't been easy," Dalton said. "It’s been bumpy, to say the least for me personally…but it definitely was nice to come out tonight and do what I expected to do."

The fifth Florida home run came in the bottom of the eighth when McConnell hit his second home run of the contest to give the Gators an 11-3 lead.

McConnell went 3 for 5 for the game, adding a single to his two home run, three RBI performance.

"It was huge to get a series win," McConnell said. "We gotta close out tomorrow, but it's definitely nice to get two wins under your belt like that."

Both starting pitchers were relieved earlier than normal as Dyson was replaced in the top of the fourth, and Alabama starter Brock Love left soon after in the bottom half of the inning.

Dyson pitched just 3.1 innings, allowing two earned runs off three hits, but the junior struggled with control. He allowed three walks, two of which came in the fourth to load the bases.

Freshman reliever Christian Scott limited the threat in the fourth and pitched for 4.2 innings. He gave up just one hit and one run, striking out five. He picked up his third win of the season in the process.

"The guy's a dude," Dalton said of Scott. "He's scared of no one. He's gonna go out there, and he's gonna compete every pitch, and I think that's what kind of sets him apart from a lot of people, when it comes to young guys."

The Gators scored 12 runs off 16 hits, which carried them to an easy victory.

In the four SEC contests prior to Saturday's game, the team scored just nine runs.

"I was pleased with how we swung the bats," coach Kevin O'Sullivan said. "That was a point of emphasis as the game started. Tonight, we didn't miss fastballs and the top three guys (at the top of the order) had great nights."

Follow Evan Lepak on Twitter @evanmplepak and contact him at elepak@alligator.org.

Senior Nelson Maldonado was 2 for 4 with two runs and two RBIs in Saturday's 12-3 win over Alabama.